In the high desert sun... I see the caravan... The wind is gently stirring the sand and the camels walk peacefully one after the other... In the shadows of the palm trees in the oasis the men set down drinking their tea...
YEAH sure... I wish it was this exotic...
Yes, I traveled to Africa. I went to Morocco. What an adventure!!

I had ONE, and very important reason (and lots of little reasons) for this trip, and that's HIM, Wally. He said I had to tell about him at the beginning, for everybody to know that he's my man, and he loves me. :) So this is him, Oualia.
We met in December of 2006, an online fling that became very serious. And this year, in June, we finally met for real. I was a bit nervous to travel alone in a country I've never visited, but I found him, his family, very welcoming. And all the people I've met were very sweet.

I had a long flight from Budapest-Paris-Casa Blanca-Agadir. I left early in the afternoon and arrived at 1AM in Agadir, Morocco. Yeah, sand dunes, camels, easy breeze...I got off the airplane in Casa Balanca and it was HOT at 11PM and super humid...I though it's Africa, desert, hot during the day, cool/cold at night and dry air... yeah, maybe in the middle of the Sahara... and of course I didn't see anything, it was dark, so I don't know if it was "gone by the wind" or not.
I had a bit of a problem at passport check in Agadir, when I realized I didn't have Wally's correct address with me...and I kind of knew it.. but that wasn't enough. And speaking English and not French didn't help me much, because the dear police man wasn't happy about that... but he did know English. Oh well, I'm glad Wally and uncle Mohamed and his wife Rochida and their son, Abdel Wahed were waiting for me. And we cleared all the problems and FINALLY we really met.

This is the decoration of the ceiling in uncle Mohamed's home. This is in the "sitting room", I'm not sure what to call it, but when a guest comes they have dinner/tea here. I had the privilege to visit a few homes in Morocco, and they are tastefully decorated (not as richly as this one). By the way, I spent most of my time here, in Agadir, and we only went to Wally's hometown, Tan Tan, for a few days. It was very nice from uncle and his family to have me for a month in their home. I'm grateful for that.

Family lunch. Almost all the time the family is together for lunch AND dinner. There is uncle on my right, on my left is Hana, Wally's sister, and Abdel Wahed, the cousin, and Rochida, uncle's wife. And we are eating cous-cous. It is so delicious, "bnin". And at this time we eat like normal people, using utensils, but after a few days they returned to, and I've got used to the Moroccan traditional eating, by hand. RIGHT hand. Meals are always great. I stopped eating breakfast after a few days so I can have lunch... Lunch is usually at 2PM or around it, there is a snack, around 6-7PM and dinner most of the time at 12AM or 1-2AM... I was lucky only a few times to be able to have dinner at 10PM. It was very strange, but the food is unbelievable. I didn't get sick. The water is good, there is bottled water, but tap water is as good as the other.

Wally and I. Me wearing the clothing from the Sahara. He's from Western Sahara, which is the southern part of Morocco and wants independence from it.
I borrowed this clothing from Hana, and it's only a long piece of fabric tied together and wrapped around the body. I was super hot there, and I couldn't stand having more clothing than I really needed on my body. So I only had this on for the picture. (Now, I would definitely wear it, would keep me warm hehehe).

My new family, Su-ed, she's uncle's daughter, Wally, I and Hana.

The beach in Agadir. It is so beautiful. (especially, if you look close on the picture, you can see the golden arches of McDonald's).
I enjoyed coming to the beach and walking around and sit down in a restaurant have a drink and relax and watch all the people walking by.
The sand on the beach is super fine, I'm sure they fill the sand timers here.
No comments:
Post a Comment